Red Velvet Rooibos Ice Cream

Friday, October 14, 2011

I scream, you cream, we all scream for ICE CREAM!
Maybe I'm weird (most likely), but I could eat ice cream year round.  No joke.  There could be a blizzard outside in January, and I want ice cream.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the snow makes me WANT ice cream.  I've been to Hershey, PA (home of Hershey chocolates) during winter.  Did you know the snow there is made of white chocolate?  Okay, that was a joke.  Ha, ha, I make a funny!
For Mother's Day, my awesome hubby bought me an ice cream maker.  I was upset that I couldn't find ice creams that were low carb AND had a natural ingredient list.  It was all sugar, enriched wheat flours, thiamin mononitrate, corn oil, and soy lecithin.  I used to have a love affair with 2 men simultaneously (Ben & Jerry), but oh how I feel like I've been jilted!  Ben, Jerry, HOW COULD YOU?!  You were fair trade.  You were certified.  WHY????
I'm not okay with this.
Why does ice cream need all that stuff?  It used to be a wonderful, simple custard base (cream, egg yolks, sugar).  The PJF, once again, must save the world!

If you haven't discovered The Republic of Tea yet, you're in for a surprise.  They make a great line of dessert teas, including Red Velvet Chocolate.  This is a rooibos based tea (an herbal, red tea from Africa). 
When you open the tin you are overcome with this intoxicating bakery aroma.  Furthermore, rooibos is rich with antioxidants!  This inspired me. 

you will need...


2c cold heavy cream (Did I mention I LOVE Kalona's Supernatural grass fed cream top cream?)
1c cold raw milk (or full fat if you can't access raw milk, coconut milk such as Thai Kitchen or Native Forest may also be substituted, or just go whole hog with 3c HWC)
3 egg yolks (yolks only. No, really. No yolks about it. It's a pain, but just do it, mmkay? You can save the whites for meringue or scrambled eggs)
6-8 Republic of Tea Red Velvet Chocolate Rooibos sachets (depends on how strong you want the flavor)
1/2T allspice
1/4c xylitol
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 Junket Rennet Tablets (optional, but it helps the consistency)
2T water

Dissolve rennet tablet in water by crushing (fun, right?). Set aside.

Combine allspice with cream and tea sachets over medium heat. Allow to steep. Remove from heat.

Look at the beautiful reddish-brown color it turns! <3


In separate bowl, whisk egg yolks with 1/4c xylitol & vanilla (or 6-8 drops liquid stevia, liquid vanilla stevia is also acceptable), until light and creamy.

Remove tea sachets from cream, and slowly drizzle cream into egg mixture, stirring constantly.

Pour back into pot and place on burner over low heat, stirring often, until mixture becomes thick.

Pour into bowl and add cold milk, cooling the mixture to 110F.

Stir in dissolved rennet tablet and allow to stand undisturbed for 10 mins. Place in to your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.

*If you do not own an ice cream maker (and really you should treat yourself to one!), use only 1 rennet tablet. Reduce milk & cream to 1-1/2c cream, and 1c milk. Sweeten to taste. Follow directions for ingredient above, then place in 9x5 3-inch pan in freezer until firm. Break into chunks with fork. In small bowl or electric mixer, beat until smooth, about 2 mins. Return mixture to pan and freeze until firm.

Red Velvet Rooibos Ice Cream with homemade grass fed whipped cream (Thank you, Kalona!)

Optional: A drizzle of chocolate ganache would send this over the edge!

0 comments:

Post a Comment