Li'l Puffs Review

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

If you ever wanted to pry military secrets from me, you need only tempt me with 2 things:
A Red Robin bleu ribbon burger with extra chipotle mayo or a tiger butter marshmallow from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.
I swear, chocolate covered marshmallows (probably marshmallows in general) will be the death of me.  I've decided that when I die, I will either have a grass-fed bacon-wrapped filet mignon in my teeth or a mouth full of marshmallows.  I'd die happy either way, but marshmallows are my kryptonite.
In honesty, I'm a marshmallow snob.  I won't cave for just any marshmallow.  It has to be gourmet.  Everything's better when it's made by hand, right?
Hence my interest in Li'l Puffs
They were generous enough to send me this goodie package:


Hand made and cut, natural marshmallows, and a mallow pop.  What makes Li'l Puffs unique is how they flavor their mallows. 
Your standard, supermarket variety flavored marshmallows usually contain artificial flavors, colors, and some chemicals. 
Li'l Puffs uses fruit puree to flavor their products.  There are no artificial ingredients, simply gelatin, sugar, starch, and fruit.  It's a marvelous thing, really.

It was a hot day when my mallows arrived, and they had wilted a little.  I mentioned it to Li'l Puffs on Facebook, and they offered to replace my order right away.  A+ for customer service!  I told them that wouldn't be necessary.  I placed the mallows in the fridge and they firmed up nicely. 
Of course I couldn't resist trying them before that point, though (which is how I discovered they were wilty).  They were foamy, slightly warm, and delightful.  I prefer a chewier marshmallow though, and once they firmed up in the fridge after a day, they were equally enthralling.  My favorite was the raspberry, followed by passion fruit, the mallow pop, coffee flavor, and lastly the strawberry.  I prefer very strong flavors.  I shared with the husband & kid.  Grace liked them all (naturally.  I mean you're crazy if you don't secretly love marshmallows!), and the man liked the Strawberry.  His palette tends to be a lot more mellow.
Naturally I also did a campfire test by spearing 1 mallow from each pack on to a butter knife and taking my brulee torch to it.  These guys are impressively puffy.  I roasted them to at least 1.5x their size without burning.  Probably 2x their size before they started sliding off my knife.

The only thing I would change about the ingredients is to make them a little more Primal friendly, by switching out the corn syrup and rice flour for raw coconut nectar and arrowroot powder, but they were very tasty as they were.  They even make a vegan-friendly mallow for special orders.

It's a great little company, and I hope you'll check them out when you're hit with a mallow craving.


Disclaimer: Li'l Puffs provided me with a free sample of their product to review. I was not under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.

0 comments:

Post a Comment