Fat Sprouts and Happy Piggy

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I will have you know that I am very pro-locavore. If I find a product produced locally and like it, I scream it to the world and get it whenever I can. Today's recipe is no different.

While out grocery shopping, I grabbed a copy of Edible Wasatch. It is, in the words of Rhino from the movie Bolt, "Be-Awesome!"
I am proud to live in a state so rich in food and culture, and equally proud to support it.

One of the recipes really jumped out at me, and I wanted to base a Paleo breakfast around it. This recipe is inspired by Executive chef, Michael Showers's Brussels with Pork Belly and Poached Egg. His recipe is already 100% Primal, but I wanted to make a couple of tweaks and make it my own.

What you'll need:


3 cups brussel sprouts
2 eggs
2 oz pastured lard
4 oz pulled pork (I made mine by slow cooking it for 8 hrs on low in chicken stock, coconut milk, curry, and mesquite. It made awesome broth!)
1T macadamia oil
apple cider vinegar, just a splash
black pepper
sea salt
tarragon

Toss brussel sprouts into soup pot with lard. Cover and set on medium heat. Give them a stir every once in a while.
Fill a separate pot half way full with water and set to boil. Add sea salt, and some ACV. Give it a whirl to make a whirlpool and crack in your eggs. Remember to crack your eggs on the flat of the table and not the edge of anything. Allow eggs to cook for 3-5 mins depending on how soft you like your yolks.
Meanwhile, check to see if your brussels are tender. If they flake apart easily and smell like bacon, they're done. Throw down your pulled pork and mix well until they are warmed through.


Plate your poached eggs. You may, or may not, wish to slice open the yolk and allow some to cascade down your plate. Garnish with tarragon, pepper, and a drizzle of mac oil. Dish up some fat sprouts and happy piggy.


Tuck in, dudes, and have an awesome day!

2 comments:

William Palfreman said...

Looks very tasty. A few things I've never heard of, but if I upped the pork I could definitely make that.

P Gersch said...

Hey William, thanks for commenting. Which ingredients have you not heard of? Is there anything I can do to help you with this recipe?

Post a Comment