Chicken Stir Fry

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

When I was very young, my parents divorced. My mom & I moved, and she had to work 2-3 jobs to keep a roof over our heads. So, at age 8, I had to learn to fend for myself. By the time I was 10, I could cook Sunday dinner (pot roast, potatoes, carrots, onions). Frankly, this is an art that is being lost on kids who are either fed fast food, don't help out in the kitchen, or (sad as it is) cannot afford dinner at all.
Point of the story, my mom didn't really have time to develop flavorful dishes in the way that I do today (thank you, PJF Husband, for working so f'ing hard EVERY day so I can have the privilege of cooking for our family and teaching Grace about food, too). Anyway, my mom made bland dishes. She had maybe a handful that I really liked. One of them was chicken stir fry.

Prior to going Primal, our chicken stir fry consisted of chicken, rice, la choy duck sauce, crunchy lo mein noodles, and stir fry veggies. I knew I had to improve the dish to fit it into our shiny, new Primal lives, especially since it was one of the dishes I knew how to cook (thanks, Mom!)
Chicken Stiry Fry is a staple at our house that we enjoy at least once a month, if not more. I hope it will join your table as well!

What you'll need:


1 lb chicken breast
1 package frozen stir fry veggies (you can certainly use fresh if you wish!)
1 package broccoli slaw
EVCO
Olive Oil
1/4c almond butter (Barney Butter, Justin's Almond Butter, and Maranatha are my favorites)
1/4c sesame oil (not pictured, cuz I, uh, ran out, and sent the man to the store to get some more while I got this meal cooking!)
1/4c soy sauce
Chili oil (optional)
1 garlic clove

Grab 2 frying pans. In one, warm olive oil and place broccoli slaw. Coat well. Cover. Cook over medium-low heat.

Cut chicken into bite size pieces.

Place in frying pan with EVCO and set on high heat. Cook until no longer pink in center.

Add veggies. Stir and cover.
(oh, let's just take a moment to look at how inviting those veggies are! So bright, and happy, and colorful. I want some!)

Take a moment to stir broccoli slaw.

Meanwhile, place almond butter, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, and chili oil (optional) into food processor. Pulse until smooth.

By the way, it's probably a good idea to peel the garlic prior to placing it in the food processor. Maybe I should have told you that earlier.


Don't forget to take a bite of almond butter for yourself while you wait for dinner!

Under no circumstances do I recommend attempting to taste test the sauce! Seriously, dude. Just... don't. It's pretty gnarly until you add it to the chicken and veggies. Trust me on this one.

Take another minute to stir broccoli slaw (you don't want it to burn).

Combine sauce with chicken and veggies, coat well, and allow to simmer 5 mins.


Plate chicken, veggies, and sauce over broccoli slaw.

Dig in!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found your site today and knew I had to make this. I am beyond full as I type this. Delicious and very filling. In the ingredients list, you say soy oil and I figured you meant soy sauce because that is what I used and it came out pretty awesome. thank you.

P Gersch said...

Yes, soy sauce. Sorry! I obviously had oil on the brain. Thanks for catching that. I'll go fix it now. So glad you enjoyed the stir fry! It's pretty versatile. You could throw down some pork rib instead of chicken, and do pineapples with an orange glaze. Hmmm... maybe I should post a variation in the future!

Anonymous said...

Also just found your site today. I am beginning my Primal journey tomorrow and was looking for inspiring recipes. Every recipe on here looks incredible! Thanks for sharing your creativity and obvious gifts!
Cindie

Amber Lu said...

I really like the idea of eating your stir fry over broccoli slaw. It looks delicious.

Post a Comment