Raw Cream and Raspberries

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

When I was a little girl, I would spend my summers with my grandparents in their cozy cottage on Lake Winnipesaukee in Gilford, NH. Not far from their summer home was a beautiful farm where we would get fresh produce. I remember spending mornings with my grandfather picking strawberries, and going to the register with him with our hard-earned prize. The cashiers (members of the family who owned the farm), knew my grandparents by name. It's not really an experience you get anymore!
I have many fond memories of my grandparent's cottage. It's where I felt the happiest, and it's where I go whenever I close my eyes. One of my favorite memories, though, was when my grandfather would bring me a bowl of fresh, farm-picked raspberries covered in heavy cream and a little sugar. Raspberries and cream is one of my favorite comfort foods, and I'm going to show you a spectacular twist on it today.



Can you see it? That faint line in the jug of raw milk.


Do you know what that is? That, my friends, is the veil between Heaven and Earth. One of the neatest things about raw milk is that the cream separates from it. It wants to be on top. For a while, I was whining about not being able to purchase raw cream, until a Primal friend mentioned harvesting the cream from the milk themselves.
Hubba-wha?!
Why didn't I think of that?

Here's what you'll need:

raw milk
a sterile glass jar, pre-chilled
24 hours

Pour your raw milk into the sterile jar (make sure you have chilled the jar in advance, so that it's the same temperature as the milk). Place lid on tightly.


Place in fridge. Wait 24 hours. You, too, will have a dreamy cloud of raw cream!
Remove jar from fridge.


Scoop out cream.


You will be left with skim milk.
Alternatively, if you buy a gallon or two of raw milk, you can place it into one of these:

a spigot jar/sun tea container (make sure it's sterile and cool). Pour your gallons of raw milk into it, cover, and place in fridge for 24 hours or slightly longer. Do not disturb it in any way at any point!

After 24 hours, remove your spigot jar and drain the skim milk, leaving yourself with only raw cream.



Now take your hard earned prize and drizzle it over fresh raspberries. Coat well. Take a bite. Listen to the voice of GOD! Yes, that angelic choir you're hearing is it.


NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
Screw it! Putting nutritional information on something this special would be sacrilige. No other way to say it.
Think of all the probiotics and antioxidants you're getting. It's like trying to put a price tag on you're favorite child.
NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN!

1 comments:

Eric Lehner said...

Hello from Canada -
One additional tip. Maple syrup is a delicious addition to your concept (spoken from first-hand experience). Cheers.

Post a Comment