In The Morning, I'm Makin' WAFFLES!

Friday, September 9, 2011

The Donkey from Shrek said it best:
"In the morning, I'm makin' WAFFLES!"
Nothing quite says breakfast like a big plate loaded heavy with waffles, bacon, and scrambled eggs, or a steamin' stack of flapjacks with the like! I always do a happy dance when I have the privilege of enjoying such a feast. However, it's been harder since going Primal. It was easy before. Grab some bisquick and water, and get to work. Primal discourages substitutions, but I think life without pancakes or waffles (along with a few other favorite food items) is just, well, DEPRESSING. I tried Primal Pancakes (made with almond butter, banana, and eggs), and they're okay, but waaaay too carby for me & my diabetes. I can also make some pretty decent flaxmeal pancakes, that have a high carb count, but very low net carb due to the fiber in the flaxmeal. I "harumph!"ed and knew there just HAD to be a better way. There has to be SOMETHING out there that is both acceptable and low carb.
Enter the protein waffle!

I first picked up this recipe from Steve McKnight, and honestly I don't know why I didn't think of it before. It took some tinkering to make it to my own tastes, but I think I've got it right and I'm excited to share this recipe with you.

What you'll need:



2 scoops zero/low carb vanilla protein powder
4 eggs
baking powder
a bowl to contain the nautical nonsense

Place your protein powder into the bowl. Crack in 4 eggs and just enough baking powder to make it rise. Mix super well (it can take a while, make sure to mush the protein powder against the bowl to break it down).


Mixing can be a problem with certain protein powders. I find that isopure zero breaks down very easily compared to other brands, however I do prefer egg based protein powders for my waffles.
Pour into waffle iron and/or pour on to griddle for pancakes. Do not pour more than half your batter at a time for the waffles! Follow your griddle manufacturer's instructions.
The batter made me 2 big Belgian waffles


If you are making pancakes, allow the batter to curl around the edges

then flip & shut off your griddle.

Serve with a generous helping of butter, your favorite syrup, and/or you favorite toppings (strawberries, bananas, and nut butter come to my mind!)


NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (before condiments):
390 cals, 6g carb (more if you use a protein powder that has carbs), 21g fat, 50g protein (more or less depending on your protein powder.)

Bon Appétit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The concept of eating whole, unprocessed foods is something I completely support but the frequent use of protein powder just makes no sense to me, it seems like direct opposition of 'unprocessed food'?

P Gersch said...

Agreed! However, it's the best substitution I've found to keep the carb count low on recipes like this. I can't imagine a ground chuck steak waffle would taste very pleasant with maple syrup unless it was an actual steak. Given the option between protein powder and a steak, I'll take the steak, to be sure, but meat is expensive, and I can stretch protein powder a lot further than 1 steak :)

Post a Comment